Monday, February 7, 2011

Bloom Where You're Planted

Okay, here goes. A blog – something more on the plate – just what I need. I am a master of procrastination and blogging is another way of not writing, not doing housework, not doing the million things waiting to be done. I am buried under a huge pile of commitments. It’s a burden of my own making but sometimes it’s hard to see the way out from under it. I am hopeless at prioritizing. Perhaps by writing my thoughts down once in a while, the words will bring some balance to my busy and disorganized world. Around and around I go, chasing my tail, but knowing full well that if I caught it, I’d either seize up or fall over. Don’t want that to happen so I’ll just keep chasin’…

I just finished reading my daughter’s blog about being afraid of the unknown. How can I reassure her and make her feel better? After all, that’s a mother’s job, right? I wonder if my optimistic nature is the way things should be, or if her more pessimistic outlook is realistic. The truth is probably somewhere in between. I do know that the worst thing that can happen is not as bad as the unknown because once something happens, it has to be dealt with. You move forward. Life goes on.

I also know that this is no comfort to someone dealing with a beautiful child whose future is unsure. Not that anyone can predict how a child will turn out or what will happen along the way, and honestly, not all little boys become doctors, firemen, or hockey players, but when those options are out of reach from the very beginning it’s difficult to accept that there are a lot of other really fine options. We come to realize, as time goes on, that a child’s inner strength will guide him toward his own interests and abilities and although they might not be what we wished for in the beginning, with support, encouragement and acceptance, his life will be his own and he will be fine.

I understand this fear of the unknown completely. I am plagued by the same thoughts. But the bonus of age and experience, plus that optimistic nature give me an inner peace about this little guy. He will find his way and he will be good at what he does. He travels to a different drummer, for sure, but he most certainly is an essential part of the parade.

I don’t know what to tell this daughter that would help her stop worrying. I just hope being along on the journey with her helps a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment